Sharjah Government Media Bureau is the speaker and listener on behalf of Sharjah on the local, regional and international media landscapes.
Established under the direction, guidance, and patronage of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, UAE Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, it is the official conduit responsible for all media and communication activities related to Sharjah’s governing bodies and the emirate as a whole.
An independent body, Sharjah Government Media Bureau empowers government communication and encourages the communication of uniform messages. It adopts a mature and responsible strategy inspired by the wisdom of His Highness, the Ruler of Sharjah, which is consistent with the UAE’s federal media policy and regulations, and adherent to the Emirate’s authentic culture.
The ultimate function of the SGMB is to highlight the emirate’s ongoing progress and development as the region’s media and cultural hub. To achieve this end, SGMB facilitates a dialogue for and with Sharjah’s government institutions and the media to elevate Sharjah’s status among the Arab and international media. In doing so, SGMB provides a meeting point for media professionals to network with senior decision-makers in Sharjah and exchange valuable views on topical issues.
The idea of Sharjah Government Media Bureau was born out of the wise vision of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, UAE Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah. The bureau was established by an Amiri Decree, which states the SGMB is an independent government body, created to reinforce Sharjah’s presence on the local, regional and global media landscapes while ensuring the accuracy of the information disseminated.
The Amiri Decree also stated that the SGMB will be entirely responsible for all media related activities that involve the offices of His Highness the Ruler of Sharjah, His Highness the Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Sharjah and all of the Emirate’s government authorities.
On the 24th of October, 2011, His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, UAE Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, officially inaugurated the headquarters of SGMB. He unveiled the commemorative plaque in the presence of a large number of government officials from Sharjah, senior representatives from the private sector, as well as media professionals.
Since that date, SGMB, spearheaded numerous significant initiatives like the International Government Communication Forum and Government Communication Award to name a few.
We aim to maintain an environment which allows for the continuous advancement of a meaningful and multi-sided dialogue, revolving around Sharjah and including all stakeholders involved in the media and communication sphere.
Our mission is to enable a balanced portrayal of Sharjah in the local, regional and international media through leveraging our profound knowledge of the Emirate’s media and government sector and our dedication to sharing timely and authenticated information with our audiences.
Educating and Inspiring
To introduce Sharjah and its ethos to the whole world through its people by inspiring them to be the ambassadors of their unique culture and encouraging them to work towards positive change and growth within Sharjah and beyond.
Gathering and Exchanging Ideas
- To act as the multi-sided conduit through which all information about Sharjah is communicated, and therefore engendering an interactive dialogue which contributes to the aim of placing Sharjah on the global map.
- Empowering and Engaging
- To enrich Sharjah’s future generations, government professionals and media and communication practitioners not only with knowledge of international standards, but also with bridges to engage positively and constructively with the world.
- Thriving and Prospering
- To position Sharjah as the region’s leading media and communication hub from the sturdy platform of Sharjah’s authentic history and supported by the guidance of His Highness, the Ruler of Sharjah.
Sharjah Government Media Bureau Functions
- Connecting the media and Sharjah’s government authorities with each other.
- Ensuring an effective and seamless communication of Sharjah’s history, future vision and ongoing prosperity to the world.
- Cultivating a multi-channeled dialogue on a local, regional and global level.
- Facilitating communication between the region’s media community.
- Being Sharjah’s official spokesperson when the emirate addresses local, regional or international audiences.
- Ensuring a balanced portrayal of Sharjah in the media throughout the world.
Sharjah Government Media Bureau… A multifaceted entity
The Media Office supports the media relations of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah. It is equipped with the latest facilities and technologies, and is operated by professionals who collectively create a unique pool of local knowledge and global best practices.
A highlight is the interaction of His Highness the Ruler of Sharjah on the Direct Line radio programme ‘Al Khat Al Mubasher’. This is a program which His Highness the Ruler has transformed into a key vehicle encouraging senior officials of government departments in the emirate to connect with the media and step up their communication with the community.
Through the programme, which is a testimony to his altruistic concern about his people, His Highness the Ruler removes the barriers between officials and citizens and sets a great example to senior government officials on how they can optimise the use of media.
- Coordinates the communication of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, UAE Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah
- Regulates official media coverage of His Highness the Ruler of Sharjah, His Highness the Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Sharjah, the deputies and the Executive Council
- Ensures appropriate news delivery both in quality and quantity